Unbalanced tire pressure is one of the main reasons that cause accidents; especially, if you live in the snowy part of the country. Unbalanced tire pressure not only makes cornering so difficult but also braking.
Not to mention it shortens the lifetime of certain parts like suspensions and axles. For these reasons, it is very important to maintain tire pressure. So, if you are thinking Why is my tire pressure light still on after filling tires? There’s an answer for you.
There could be quite a few reasons like – faulty light, excess heat or cold, leaky tire, and many more things can go wrong and fire up tire pressure light.
Let’s read and learn all the details regarding your query below.
Why Maintaining Tire Pressure Is So Important!
In plain and simple terms, it is dangerous. Uneven tire pressure makes it hard to drive even on a plain road. If somehow you can evade bad luck, you will end up with a bitter driving experience.
Tire pressure also plays an important role in fuel economy and handling. Using the best tire inflator 120v you can fill up the tire with quality air. If your car’s tire pressure is not at the sweet spot then you will notice a significant drop in fuel mileage.
Overinflation or underinflation will come with different problems. While excess inflation will reduce your control on the car, underinflation will not only deform the tire but also use extra engine power.
Why Is My Tire Pressure Light Still On After Filling Tires?
Let’s now go through some reasons why is my check tire pressure light on after filling tires. There are could be several causes that can fire up the pressure indicators.
- Faulty Hardware: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensor or TPMS sensor could go bad. It is not an uncommon phenomenon for sensors to go bad. Especially if the sensors are set up around the tire. So, checking if the hardware is working correctly should be the first step in case anything goes wrong.
- Under-inflation/Over-inflation: If the sensor senses excess or low pressure then the pressure light will get turned on. To avoid this, fill up the tire with quality air as per the instruction manual. Excessive heat can increase air volume while too much cold will make the air denser. As a result, the tire can get over-inflated or under-inflated depending on the weather.
- Buggy Code: The sensor works as the code is written in the firmware. It is not uncommon to hit some buggy spot. These situations could be unique from model to model. Although, you have a very low probability to face this kind of case. Doing a hard reset would likely solve the problem.
- Slow leak: Most of the time slow leak triggers the sensors. So, thoroughly check for a leak if you have the tire pressure warning going off.
Ideal Tire Pressure Chart
Here is a general guideline for the tire pressure of a 5-passenger car:
|Tire||Size||Cold Tire Pressure|
|Front Tire||LT275/65R18E 123/120S||480 KPA, 70 PSI|
|Rear Tire||LT275/65R18E 123/120S||550 KPA, 80 PSI|
|Spare Tire||LT275/65R18E 123/120S||550 KPA, 80 PSI|
How To Maintain Tire Pressure
Maintaining tire pressure is nothing difficult if you stay vigilant. Just a simple inspection a few times a week would be enough.
If anything is wrong, that is unlikely to go unnoticed. In case the pressure light is constantly on then use your wit until the matter is resolved.
You should get one of these Best Tire Pressure Gauge to check tire pressure regularly.
The difference is hard to notice when you are not paying attention. It could be months before you notice that you were driving with low tire pressure.
Driving that way will shorten both mileage and tire life.
So, regular inspection with a pressure gauge would be the best course of action to maintain tire pressure.
How To Check Tire Health
The health of the tire depends on three things. If these attributes check out then the wheel is safe to drive. Let’s take a look are those points.
- Tire pressure: As we have discussed so far, tire pressure plays a very significant role in overall performance. So, the first thing to do is to make sure there is the proper amount of pressure inside the wheel.
- Tread depth: The tire gets decayed as you keep driving. Once the layer gets thin enough risk of accident increases substantially. You can do a penny test to check the depth. Put a penny upside down between the tread. If Lincoln’s head is fully visible then it is time to change the tire. You should pick the Best Polaris Ranger Tires as they tend to last very long.
- Overall condition: Keep a lookout for external damage. It is very common for the tire to get cut by sharp objects on the road.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long after filling tires will the light go off?
If you are certain there is no problem with the TPMS sensor or the tire and everything is ok. Then the light should go off after you have driven a few miles.
2. How do I clear the tire pressure light?
To clear the tire pressure light, you will have to reset the light. Hold the reset button until the light that indicates tire pressure, blinks three times. Then wait for 15-20 minutes and start the car.
3. Why won’t my tire pressure light go off?
There could be a problem with the TPMS sensor, or there could be a leak.
4. How do you know if you have a bad TPMS sensor?
There are many ways to tell if a TPMS sensor has gone bad. You can use TPMS diagnostic tool, car display panel, or pressure gauge to check if the sensors are working.
5. How much does it cost to replace a tire pressure sensor?
It depends on the type of vehicle, sensor, and service center. Usually, 50 to 100 dollars should cover the cost.
6. Where are the TPMS sensors located?
The TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitor System sensors are wrapped around the rim or kept in the tire pressure valve.
It is not uncommon to see the tire pressure light firing up even after filling the tire. If you are thinking Why is my tire pressure light still on after filling tires, in most cases, it should turn off after you have driven a few miles.
There are could be other reasons too. As there are many contributing factors you have to go through one by one.
In case if you can come to a solution, then you should seek professional help as soon as possible.